Now I don’t consider myself a poor man or woman, in my case. I am rich in the things that matter in life: faith, joy, laughter, children, friendship, love and homegrown veggies! However I call this dish “Poor man’s bread pudding because it is insanely easy to make and takes the most basic ingredients of bread, milk, eggs and sugar. You can fancy it up of course with some sort of dried fruit(figs, raisins or dates) and a fancy sauce to pour over, but the basic ingredients remain the same. What does my husband ask for every year for his birthday? Not a complicated cheese cake or cream brulee. You guessed it, he asks for bread pudding because he finds joy in the simple things! I am putting this recipe on my blog in honor of my two heroes; Hunter and Sam. It brought tears to my eyes when I surveyed those two men defeating Goliath(see story here.) and they said to me, “All we ask for in return is for you to cook us up your beet dish and bread pudding for dessert.”These two God fearing men work hard, love fiercely and find joy in the simple things! I am glad they are in my life. Cook this dish up for the heroes in your life!
- 4 beaten eggs
- 2 cups milk
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ teas ground cinnamon
- 3 cups dried bread cubes(for doubled recipe just use the whole French loaf)
- ⅓ cups raisins or other dried fruit
- Ingredients for Whiskey sauce, optional :
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 beaten egg yoke
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons bourbon or spiced rum
- Also optional : vanilla ice cream
- In mixing bowl beat together eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla. Grease baking dish or crock pot with butter.Place dried bread cubes in an 8½ inch round baking dish. I double the recipe and put in large crock pot. Sprinkle raisins or dried fruit on top of bread cubes. Pour egg mixture over all. Bake in 325 degree oven for 35 to 40 min.
- Or in crock pot (double recipe) on low for 3½ hours.
- To make Whiskey Sauce:
- In a small saucepan melt butter. Stir in sugar, egg yoke and water. Cook and stir constantly over medium low heat for 5 minutes or so, until sugar dissolves and mixture boils. Remove from heat and stir in spiced rum. Serve with vanilla ice cream and Whiskey Sauce drizzled over all.
My absolute favorite way to make this is in the crock pot because I can just throw in the ingredients, put it on low for 3 1/2 hours(for double recipe) and go do what I wish, like garden! I am cooking for a small army and when neighbors and friends find out I am cooking bread pudding they show up in droves, so I always double the recipe. Adjust crock pot cooking time if you are not cooking for a small army and friends like I am. 🙂